Sunday, May 31, 2009

one legged perspective

 
So as a result of my latest ankle sprain, I spent the past week alternately getting around on crutches or hopping around on my right leg. I've been on crutches once before in high school, but this time was a lot different since my life is a lot more independent now. Not surprisingly, it was a royal pain in the ass. Flying across the country on one leg is not something I'd recommend. A low point was when I tried to hop across the security gate on my good leg, but I grabbed the gate to steady myself and set off the sensor. The security dude was like "I can't watch this, get this guy a cane", so I had to limp through the gate on a cane like I'm 97 years old.

It was a humbling experience, being helpless and sometimes dependent on strangers for assistance. You definitely see a different side of people when you pose no threat to them. I was pretty encouraged by the number of good samaritans who offered a helping hand or a sympathetic word. I found myself running errands that I probably shouldn't have tried to run in my condition, but with the expectation that random help would be forthcoming. Usually things worked out.

The one exception to kindness was creepy old dude in the building. I was hauling a bag of fruit on my crutches back to the apartment when the bag broke and I had to crawl around the ground gathering fruit. Creepy old dude, previously known for walking around half naked at wee hours, walked right past me without a word or any kind of gesture. That guy can kiss my ass.

Anyway I'm well on the road to recovery now, and I might give it a go tomorrow sans crutches. I'll take from this trial a much healthier respect for all handicapped people. There's another gentleman in my building who goes around in a wheelchair, but always seems to be upbeat and joking around. In the past I guess I'd pretty much just feel sorry for him. Now that I can somewhat appreciate the challenges he overcomes daily, I don't feel sorry for him anymore because I bet hes happier and mentally stronger than a good number of people on two legs. I do feel sorry for creepy old guy, because karma will eventually catch up to him.

4 comments:

  1. Yea I've definitely come to respect the handicapped, except for that one time I parked in a handicapped spot without knowing. But I paid off the $100 ticket with no complaints.

    I think legs and eyes are the most taken for granted body parts hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you get that ankle checked out? Seems pretty serious if you still can't put weight on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah i got it x-rayed and wrapped up. It was just a bad sprain. I'm able to put weight on it and walk a bit now, but its still easier to get around on crutches - I get pretty good velocity on those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the ankle's feeling better. Seems like you got some of the wisdom of a handicap without all of the burden...

    ReplyDelete