Wednesday, May 13, 2009

here's to feeling good all the time

 
I wake up in the morning, refreshed as usual. Its a big game 7 for the Caps, the do or die finale to an intense series. I'm not worried though. I remember that the Caps have never lost a game 7 in the playoffs. Actually they haven't even gotten to game 7 much over the course of their incredible run of 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years - they've just been too good.

Time to get dressed for work. Should I wear my 2001 Redskins Superbowl champions shirt? It always makes me smile to remember that magical year, when 6th rd draft pick Tom Brady came out of nowhere to lead the Skins to a thrilling Superbowl win over the Oakland Raiders, after handing the Cowboys a 62-3 beatdown in the NFC championship game. Little did I know that would only be a prelude to the emergence of the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Its amazing how things turned around when Snyder abruptly sold the team and moved to Madagascar to live with the lemurs. In the end I go with the '06 Superbowl shirt because I like the design better.

I sort through my closet, brushing aside my Lebron James and Chris Paul Wizards jerseys. I remind myself to get home from work tomorrow in time to see the Wizards go for yet another series clincher against the hapless Cavs. For a moment I almost feel bad that D.C. has 6 straight NBA championships and Cleveland continues to be a cesspool. I snap out of it when my phone rings. Its that Italian supermodel again - she won't stop calling. I let it go to voicemail, no time for shenanigans today.

A day at work is spent in anticipation, but pays off when the Caps prevail after a 5 goal performance from Ovechkin. I celebrate with champagne and save the bottle like I do after every big win. I wonder if I'll ever get tired of so much winning. Probably not. I make a note to myself that I need to rent out more storage space for victory bottles.

As the sweet feeling of victory envelops me, I light up a cigar and enjoy the sunset while interviews of jubilant Caps players continue in the background. One question lingers in my head: why...am i so blessed?

(Note: this has been the delusional rambling of a dangerously unstable individual. Please do not attempt to jolt him back to the real world, or he may lose what little grasp of reality he has left. If you must comment, please do so with due sensitivity to his fragile state of mind. Thank you.)

3 comments:

  1. You forgot about the Orioles back to back World Series wins (during which, they managed to come back from 0-3 against both the Yankees and the Red Sox), thanks largely to their starting rotation including Johan Santana & CC Sabathia, and the timely draft of Albert Pujols.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Maryland winning National championships on top of national championships by recruiting top local talent year after year (Melo, Durant, Beasley, Green, Lawson).

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like Dr. Lui needs to prescribe you a nice glass of ice cold water with an orange on the side

    ReplyDelete